Tuesday, November 5, 2013

List #2 - Songs and Videos I Like

I love all these things, usually at different times. Today, I love them all at once, so much so that I want to share them. They're mostly genuinely good songs, with a couple of exceptions, but you'll like those, because they're terribly good. Or you won't, because you have no sense of humor.

My "strutting" song is "Superstition," by Stevie Wonder. That bass line, the trumpet response, the tempo - it just works for making me walk like I mean it, you know? I think everyone's got a strutting song, and if you don't know yours yet, you should find it, because putting your song on when you're walking down the street is like getting an injection of "Hell Yeah I'm Awesome" right into the brain.


I'll often follow that one up with a little bit of P!nk (U + Ur Hand) and Save Ferris (Bonus Track from Modified) because they both make me feel empowered and sexy in a strong woman kind of way.



And after that, if I'm lucky, I'll get to have a date with my husband, and I'll try to do my sexy dance. Which really only makes him laugh, but whatever. I do what I like, and what I like is dancing to this song. I first listened to Morphine one lovely afternoon before we were married, on a drive to nowhere that ended at Pt Reyes, and now they're a staple in my late night music collection.



When I wanna cry, in a good way, I throw this one on. In the best and sappiest ways, it encompasses everything I'd hoped to be able to do for myself when I was younger, and everything I want for my kiddo. Also, I really like to try to sing along to it. No one else here likes it when I do that, except for maybe my sister's dog, so it mostly happens in my car. So if you see me singing in the Ninja, "Brave" by Sara Barielles is probably why.


Also, both of these by Matt Harding. I discovered them ages ago, and whenever I want to feel good about the world and let a couple tears fall, I watch them. So inspiring. My favorite moments: When everyone rushes in, when he dances along with the Indian women, when they all dance in Oakland (represent!), and the very end of the 2012 video when he has his son with him. I'm literally tearing up right now it makes me so happy.
"Where the Hell is Matt" 2008

"Where the Hell is Matt" 2012



In a similar vein, when I'm thinking about how much I love my family, there are a couple of songs that get me going. One is "Home" by Michael Buble. His voice is so smooth, and the song just captures that essence of missing someone so much. Ross and I spent so much time as a long-distance couple, and I live so far from most of my extended family, and this just rolls all that together into an excellent piece of music.


More specific to my kiddo and Ross, "Ho Hey" by the Lumineers is just fun. It has to be played loudly. There's no other way.



My favorite funny video is so nonsensical I really can't even explain why it's so funny, except for the walrus bit. And the fridge. And the making fun of Justin Timberlake. And how it was originally presented in a loop (like Vines) so it just kept going and going and getting funnier and funnier...I recommend playing it at least twice, if not three times. (If you want to see the original, go here)




And finally, my very favorite music video ever made. There is nothing in the world that compares to this. It's deep, thoughtful, almost revolutionary. And all in the stupidest way possible. They're so serious, and I can't believe that they're that serious, but they are and it might be the best thing to ever happen on the internet. Please, if you didn't hit play on anything else in this list, hit play on this one.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, I'm thankful for YouTube, discount rum at the Lucky's up the street, moons that look like big grins, my mother's good health and enchiladasagna, which I am about to go eat right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment